Be Strong, Build StrongJune 29, 2017
Wood Roofs Need CareMay 2, 2018
Common Winter Roofing Problems:
With the season we’re now in and coming up quickly on the spring ice damming and melt/thaw cycle, here are some common winter roofing problems you should be aware of.
ICE DAMS & CONDENSATION
Contact us today if you have any issues with your exteriors.
A COMMON ISSUE IN THE WINTER IS STAINING OR DRIPPING AROUND BATHROOM FANS DUE TO ICE DAMMING.
- Large volumes of snow and ice forming along the eave of the roof
- Ice backing up inside the eavestrough and downspouts
- Causes roof leaks
Improper Ventilation System
- Attics need to be able to circulate the air, which helps clear out moisture in the attic
- Venting consists of intake (usually at the soffit), and exhaust (usually at the ridge)
A COMMON ISSUE IN THE WINTER IS STAINING OR DRIPPING AROUND BATHROOM FANS.
- Fan exhausts warm moist air out of the roof
- If the ducting is improperly insulated or sealed, it can allow the warm air to mix with the cool air in the attic and condensate
IMPROPER INSULATION AND / OR VAPOUR BARRIER (SIDING & ROOF).
- Insulation needs to be evenly distributed inthe attic
- Attic hatch should be insulated and sealed with gasket strip to keep warm air from the house from mixing into the attic
- All protrusions (fans, pot lights, etc.) should be sealed with poly
TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY LEVEL OF THE UNIT.
- Residents that keep the temperature up higher during the winter are more likely to experience condensation in the attic
- Humidity levels need to be adjusted as required over winter months to keep condensation from building up